By popular demand, the recipe for my neighbor Lori’s truffle macaroni & cheese, which she served in cupcake liners at our block party this past weekend. Lori says, “Like many great dishes with too many calories and butter, I started with Ina Garten and improvised from there.”
How To Add 10 Pounds Instantly Truffle Mac n Cheese
8 Servings (or 24 individual “cupcake size” servings)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Olive Oil – 1-2 tablespoons
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- ¼ – ½ cup flour
- 1 pound small pasta, (elbow macaroni or small cavatappi)
- 3-4 ounces white truffle butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 quart whole milk, heated
- 12 ounces Gruyere cheese, freshly grated (4 cups) – set aside ½ cup for topping
- 8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, freshly grated (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Heat the butter, olive oil and chopped scallion in a large saute pan until translucent.
Add the mushrooms, and cook over medium heat for approx. 3 minutes, until tender. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the pasta – Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, al dente. Drain well.
Melt the Truffle Butter in a large (4-quart) saucepan and whisk in the flour.
Cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the sauce is thick and creamy. Take it off the burner and stir in the Gruyere, Cheddar, Salt and Pepper.
Combine the pasta, sauce, and mushrooms and either pour them into a baking dish or spoon them into individual ramekins.
Mince the garlic and mix together with the breadcrumbs.
In a separate bowl, combine ½ cup of Gruyere and ½ cup of Parmesan cheeses.
Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and the cheese topping over the pasta and bake until the sauce is bubbly and the crumbs/cheese are golden brown (10-15 minutes).